Thursday, February 14, 2019

Father to Pharoah

     These last few chapters I have been re-reading the story of Joseph. Today's chapter brought me to the brothers' revelation that Joseph's dreams had come true. I had two observations about this. One is that neither Joseph nor his brothers were bad sports about how things turned out. The brothers were afraid of what Joseph might do, but were happy for him in the end. Joseph could have lorded it over them, but he was moved to tears by Judah's willingness to be a slave rather than come home without Benjamin.

     My second observation is the curious title that was accorded to Joseph. He was named a father to Pharaoh. This was a high honorific given to viziers in that culture. It would be best understood as head of household. It says a lot about the trust that Pharaoh had in him. This was only possible because God was with Joseph.

     I am humbled by the thought of what I could accomplish if I yielded completely to God as Joseph did.

No comments:

Post a Comment